It's widely known that we put inside our body can affect what we see on the outside, so why not fill your tote with fruits and veggies packed with vitamins and nutrients?
Summer means that trees dangle with ripe fruits and fields burst with vegetables prime for the picking. This abundance of fresh produce couldn’t be better for your health—including your skin. Try these in-season favorites for a nutritious meal that just might help your complexion.
1. Tomatoes: A fruit ripe with vitamin C may help keep skin firm and taut by aiding in collagen production. Tomatoes contain lycopene, too, a red pigment that not only gives them their pretty hue but stimulates skin circulation.
2. Fennel: This licorice-tasting root vegetable is a skin-clearing gem. Add this tasty bite to your salads to improve digestion and flush out excess fluids and toxins hiding in your pores.
3. Blueberries: Sweet, sweet antioxidants may diminish blemish-causing bacteria from your body with every nibble. Similarly, author Jonny Bowden included blackberries in his book, "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth," boasting their ability to fight free radicals and keep the signs of aging at bay.
4. Carrots: Vitamin A and beta-carotene supports a healthy immune system, vision, and beautiful skin. Though not in huge doses when found in produce, vitamin A may have a similar effect on skin as retinol medications which may benefit blemish-prone skin.
5. Avocado: This fruit is rich in Vitamin E which may increase skin’s vitality and glow. Delicious "avos" have just the right kinds of essential fatty acids to reduce dry skin and prevent the overproduction of pore-clogging oils.
6. Garlic: With a history of culinary and medicinal uses for over 7,000 years, this pungent superfood fights all the bad guys, reducing inflammation and irritation. "Garlic is full of a naturally occurring chemical called allicin, which kills off many harmful bacteria and viruses your body might be fighting," says Rachelle Wood, a registered holistic nutritionist in Charlottetown, P.E.I.
7. Beets: According to The Clear Skin Diet, foods containing anthocyanins are high in antioxidants and help maintain blood flow to the skin, promoting optimum cell turnover—a true essential for keeping pores clear, youthful, and healthy.
8. Spinach: Dark, leafy greens are all the rage for a reason. The inflammation-fighting agents and fiber help slow the rise of blood sugar, while cleansing the digestive track.
9. Lemons: Summery citrus cleanses the liver with citric acid and eliminates blood toxins. Flush your pores from dirt and grime with a wedge in every water.
10. Broccoli: Strengthen and rejuvenate your complexion from the inside out with forkfuls of trees. The high dose of Vitamin C restores and builds collagen, the support to all the wee capillaries that feed and nourish your skin, thereby preventing and repairing acne scars.
that may help your complexion